Processed, refined foods, stress and environmental pollutants cause excess acid in the body. The body’s natural detoxifying system eliminates the acid via the skin causing the itchiness, redness and discomfort of eczema. Twenty percent of toxins leave the body through the skin.
FROM THE INSIDE:
- Eat a plant based diet (80% nuts, seeds, fruit, vegetables, beans and pulses; 10% animal products ( preferably organic ) and 10% ‘naughty’). Aim for 50% raw, easily done with salads, juices and smoothies.
- Drink water first thing in the morning (up to 1L) to flush toxins from the body. Choose filtered or mineral water in glass bottles. Endocrine disrupting toxins from plastic bottles leach into water. Also, plastic bottles are an environmental disaster.
- Add alkalising green juices and smoothies to your daily diet .
- Keep your bowels moving. The easiest bowel cleanse I know of is ‘Digestive Health and The Magnesium Oxide Bowel-Cleaning System’ by Phillip Day, www.credence.org.
- Eat hulled hemp seeds – add them to salads, granolas and smoothies, blend with water, a few drops of stevia and vanilla to make milk. They contain gamma-linolenic acid which is good for dry skin. Keep in the fridge.
- Rebalance your gut flora with fermented foods and drinks. Sauerkraut and kombucha tea are easy to make at home https://www.eatrawfeelgreat.co.uk/category/fermented-foods/.
- Saunas – infra red saunas are very effective for removing toxins and can easily be installed in your home.
- Eat sugar in any form – hidden, added sugars in processed foods; high glycemic natural sugar in dried fruit, honey; maple syrup, agave nectar. Instead use low glycemic sweeteners such as liquid stevia, yacon syrup or xylitol.
- Eat too much fruit – high in fructose and acidic. Stick to one or two pieces of low glycemic fruit a day – organic apples, pears or berries. Lemons and limes are alkalising because they contain alkalising minerals.
- Drink black tea, coffee or fizzy drinks. Alcohol is also acidic. Try herbal teas (fresh is and tastes best, grow mint in a pot), kombucha (40 strains of probiotics) or green matcha tea (high in antioxidants).
- Eat dairy. Substitute goat or sheep cheese, milk made from nuts or seeds.
FROM THE OUTSIDE:
- Use natural skin and personal hygiene products – buy organic or make your own. Coconut oil moisturises the body, argan oil the face, almond oil removes make up.
- A saturated solution of Himalayan or sea salt and filtered water. Put in a spray bottle or apply with a cotton pad to ease the sting.
- A 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar (raw, organic is best) and filtered water will do the same.
- Aloe vera flesh applied to a patch of eczema and held in place with an adhesive dressing for 12-24 hours . Cut a piece from a fresh aloe vera leaf, cut in half and apply the flesh side to the skin. Fresh aloe leaves can be bought on the net or buy a plant to keep at home.
- Wear natural fibres next to your skin – cotton (organic is best), silk, linen.
- Use natural cleaning products at home – baking soda and white vinegar do most cleaning jobs.
ADDRESS YOUR STRESS:
- Minimise stress – let go of anything or anyone who does not add value to your life
- Disconnect from your phone/tablet/TV for a few hours every day – the sky will not fall in, I promise.
- Get plenty of sleep – eat your last meal as early as possible and keep it light – the body can’t digest and sleep at the same time.
- Breathe – 70% of toxins leave your body through your lungs. Try breathing in for 4, hold for 4, out for 4, hold for 4.
- Kundalini yoga combines breathing, yoga asana and meditation all in one – Maya Fiennes.
- Fresh air and nature heal the body and soul. Walk on grass or sand in your bare feet to absorb positive energy from the earth.
- Be kind to yourself and others – kindness has astonishing health benefits. Watch Dr David Hamilton’s TEDx talk on http://drdavidhamilton.com/.
I had eczema for 40 years but it disappeared after doing green juice cleanses and alkalising my diet. Flare ups do occur (especially if you are a sensitive soul). I sometimes get a flare up after a week long green juice cleanse but it is just part of the cleansing process.